Thursday 20 November 2008

First Exam over!!

I just finished writing the exam for my favourite module this sem - HR2002 : "Human Capital in Organizations". While coming out of the exam hall, I realized how much this module has taught me about life in general. I have definitely grown as a person, more accepting the differences in other people, understanding so many different aspects of work life. Understanding emotions, importance of postponing judgements, human moments, the double loop learning.. the list is endless.

I think a lot of credit goes to my lecturer Ms. Chua Siew Beng who was very effective in teaching the module and motivating us to realize the importance of the module. As she very rightly said in one of the lectures that the very reason that this non-technical 3 MC module is an essential for us is that it carries a huge value in our day-to-day behaviour. I can't agree more. I have seen myself change a lot during the course of the module. I have actually arranged my notes, readings and supplementary readings to put them in use when I need them during my work life. And I think I would really want to discuss the work related issues with Ms. Chua as well.

I loved the readings, the class discussions, the group project and all the members of the tutorial group E05. Getting up for a 9 o'clock lecture is always troublesome but I used to be so enthusiastic to go for my HR class. I made all I-am-not-interested-in-listening expressions when anyone said that the module is useless. I think these things teach us the small lessons in life which are usually neglected but make a significant difference :)

The other thing which I realized while doing the module is the importance of connecting with people. When I ask the NUS alumni about why they don't come often to the university, they often reply that they don't feel connected to the university. But then who's fault is it? We can't connect to the walls and the stairs of NUS. Its the people we connect to. But once we and our friends graduate, there is no one we have connected to because we never established connections with the lecturers who will be the ones staying back once we graduate. I am guilty of doing that too. Specially Professors like Dr. Faizal Bin Yahya and Dr. Winston Kwok who had once inspired me so much, motivated me to perform well and engage in very interesting and intellectual conversations. And now I have hardly tried to remain connected to them. I realized that its time that we look at the lecturers who inspire more than lecturers and more as mentors to learn from them and stay connected to them. Its all about learning through socialization!

I think I should stop writing now and concentrate on my next exam.

0 comments: