Sunday 16 May 2010

Life's Lessons from Kenya!!

#1. Small things often make big things bearable.
Whether it is the stupid rooster with no sense of timing who starts waking you up at 2 am, the warm greetings from the Aunty at the Cyber cafe, the fire lit every evening or the pregnant cat who takes refuge at the house - small things can give you pleasure in an inexplicable way.

#2. There is nothing you cannot do.
Till last week I thought that I was incapable of sitting quietly. I needed to talk and talk and talk. In the past week, I have hardly spoken - just speaking the minimal required words to survive and I am managing quite well :) And for those who thought I can never sit calm and quiet - come and see me here.

#3. It is more important to be friends with the house keepers than the house owner for a comfortable stay.
Because they stay in the house all the time and know everything you need to know. Specially after the Canadians left today, I discovered that I am surviving well because I made friends with Grace and Elizabeth.

#4. Doing nothing is more painful than working from dawn to midnight.
One week of a laid back life and I am finding it almost impossible to contain my energy. The workaholic that I am known to be is dying to find some work. The fact that we have to be inside by 5 pm as it is dangerous after that and there is no internet at home is making it difficult to be productive.

#5. Books are true friends in a strange land.
After suffering a bit through #4, I have taken up on reading African Literature. Currently reading I dreamed of Africa y Kuki Gallmann gifted to me by Siddharth Bhaiya, I welcome all suggestions for rich African Literature.

#6. Home Sickness is a great way for self discovery.
Something which Wan Xin said to me really touched me and I found it so true - "Be in deep experience with your homesickness Shub. It itself is a wonderful self-discovery. =) And Shub, you are strong enough to take this experience, and at times you feel you don't, let yourself break. We are here to catch you! Love, Wan Xin "
But remember that #5 doesn't help in home sickness. You might end up reading the same line for over 5 hrs and still not understand it. Then resort to #7.

#7. Find a child to laugh with.
Whether it is a 2 months old or someone who has just entered his/her teen, children have a beautiful gift of taking you into their world, totally immerse you in their life till you forget about your own. Make stupid faces with a baby, talk about issues with a 10 year old or watch a dumb teenage movie with them, you will soon find a sense of happiness which adults unfortunately can't give.

#8. Be open to break your own rules.
Do you remember me saying that I don't even drink tea, coffee and soft drinks.,I am a healthy girl and drink Milk and juices only? Well, I stayed stubborn on that for 2 days till the damp and cold weather slapped me hard. Now I drink hot tea (called Chai here) atleast 2 times a day. I still don't enjoy it and will go back to my old self when I leave Kenya.

#9. No matter how hard you try, you will always be different from them - Just accept it.
I am known as the "Wasungu" here - "the different one usually used to refer a white person". When I walk on the streets, children point at me and shout Wasungu. Everybody shouts "How are you" at me without even understanding its meaning. Weeping children stop crying if I smile at them. Matatu drivers want me in their Matatus so that they can attract more passengers. At first I used to find it very annoying but now I have realized that it is better to accept it. After all, being the different one does give a power of its own.

#10. Be in touch with your Mum.
Mothers have a gift to making you feel comfortable with all the discomforts even when she is miles away. I look forward to her next call as soon as she hangs up. Her voice is a constant source of strength in everything I am undertaking.

9 comments:

rohan.rajiv18 said...

Nice! :)

sankaran said...

wow.. very insightful.. good stuff =)

african dreams said...

Another great article from you! Thank you for being so open to share about the joy, and struggle you face. While you are coping hard with the cultural adaptation over there, feel free to seek haven in divulging all your emotions here in your blog. I am here listening. =)
And yes. If you break, we are here to catch you. =)

Unknown said...

Shubhi,

Not so long from now you will realize the huge impact this experience will have on your life...and on the way you think about things.

And I know you to learn the most from it and take the best out of it!

Be cool and enjoy the journey.

Love

Unknown said...

shubhi,this is a great experience only lucky(you)one can get. you know thats why we rare proud of you;)

Shubhangi said...

@Rohan : Thanks for your encouragement

@Shankar: Thanks macha..

@WX: You have no idea how much suport you have provided me.. ANd yes, it is a wonderful to write down the emotions on the blog!

@Vijit Bhaiya: I can already feel my thought process being defined.. The family needs to be thanked for the support

@Buaji: Thank you.. I could not have done this without your support :)

Neha Hooda said...

Hey!!
Shubhi your blogs are really very inspiring for me..After seeing the kind of experience u have had and still having,makes me feel that I have missed something in life,but now that I have the chance I'll definitely make the most of it.

Keep up the Good work!!!

Cheers!!!

Unknown said...

Hi...
Keep Blogging !!!

Love Buaji..

Unknown said...

hello..