Monday 10 May 2010

My first impressions of Kenya!!

So, I am sitting in a cyber cafe near University of Nairobi.. The university is quite good and the AIESEC offices are in the Mahatma Gandhi Wing.

The experiences so far have been quite unique. And the uniqueness started from the flight itself. I boarded Kenyan airways from Bangkok. The lady(from Zambia) sitting next to me was the fattest person I have seen so far.. For the first time I witnessed someone asking for additional belt in the airplane. The result being - She took her seat and more than half of mine :P The hand rest won't come down and the flight was jam packed. I could not sleep at all.

Jomo Kenyatta International Airport is more like an international airport in a small city in India. Eric Kariuki came to pick me up. The mode of transport here is 'Matuta' - a very run down van in which I experienced the bumpiest ride ever. Surprisingly, I loved every bit of it.. My very very first impression was Kenya was that it is very much like the rural India. Living here would be like living there, not just visiting that part.

I went to Eric's place to freshen up and experienced the Indian side again - carried (yes, carried not dragged) my luggage from where the Matuta dropped us to his place. This was the longest and most tiring 30 minutes of walk. Water for shower was boiled on stove and there was water stored in a big tumbler. They use the bucket and mug system like in India coz usually the taps have no water.

I loved all my interactions with Eric - AIESEC, politics, Kenya, India, economy, languages and religions. One thing which really touched me about the people here is their warmth. From the very first time I met them, they made me feel very comfortable. When I was at Eric's place, he served me with all the bread slices he had, saving nothing for himself - something I got to read only the folk tales of India but never experience in life. Kenya in a lot of ways gives me the image of how India would have been in the 'Golden Era' - not very advanced, but with a lot of love, trust and hospitality.

The Central Business District is more like a market in a city like Agra. But the weather here is amazing. I have to wear jacket even in the afternoon. Now I am just waiting to go to my place of work which is in Ngong district - about 30 kms North of Nairobi. Its been just about 6 hours since I have landed and I have started feeling at 'home'.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

lovely !
tks indeed for sharing
i guess we can all see Kenya through your eyes and words
take good care

rohan.rajiv18 said...

Heya.

Maybe have a follow up option on your blog?? Would be easier to keep up with your posts!
:)

Cheers
Rohan

Anonymous said...

Hey Shub! Thanks for keeping us on pace with your writing! I miss Mahatma Gandhi wing haha! And the chilly weather! If you see William, Joe Odhi or Fiona, say hi to me and say I miss them! If you see Evelyn from UON, say hi for me! She'll be my colleague in AIESEC Qatar!
Be in deep experience with your homesickness Shub. It itself is a wonderful self-discovery. =) And Shub, you are strong enough to take this experience, and at times you feel you don't, let yourself break. We are here to catch you!
Love,
Wan Xin