Friday 28 May 2010

My journey to Jane!!

The decision: A week into the internship I had decided that I was going to sponsor a child. I asked for profiles of kids with only one condition – should be a girl in primary school. A girl because they are more vulnerable and primary school because younger kids have an ability to overcome trauma of the past more effectively than the older ones when they are given better conditions. The original decision was to co-sponsor the child with a friend. I was presented with 5 names and somehow, Jane clicked with me at once. I asked some basic questions about her and the decision to be her co-sponsor was made. Then on Tuesday, I went to visit her house in the slum. The condition was miserable and I said to myself, “Never again is my child coming here, not even for vacations”.

Unfortunately, the same day I was left with the choice to either sponsor the child on my own or find another co-sponsor. The latter would delay the process and I didn’t want that. Finally, I decided to sponsor the child on my own. Being jobless at the moment, I cancelled all my travelling, rugby and shopping plans in Kenya which left me with money just enough to sponsor her if I spend with a tight hand. I would have enjoyed the travelling for 2-3 days but the money can now be put into better use to sponsor a child’s education and annual expenses – my child’s education. That very same day, I met the AIESECers organizing the travel and rugby event to cancel them. Somehow, cancelling these plans seemed so right. I could wait to send the money when I am in Singapore, but I am human enough to get worried about not having a source of income and might just back out.

Jane: Jane is 8 years old and one of 4 siblings. Her older brother Kennedy is in secondary school and stays at the slums with his grandmother and a lot of other children in a cloth house of 1 room. She has younger twin sisters. Their mother abandoned them when she discovered that she is HIV positive. Fortunately, Jane is negative (and it wouldn’t have mattered to me even if she was). Jane was molested by one of the guys staying in their house and had started sleeping in the garbage dump so that she is safe. It was urgent to send her to a primary boarding school which was far from her slums and that was done the day I showed interest in sponsoring her.

The journey: I decided to take a look at the school and meet her once before I sponsor her. So, I started my journey 6 am yesterday with Lucy Mwihaki (One of the women working at Living Positive whose 2 daughters study in the same school). After 5 hours of bus, matatu and motor bike travel, I finally reached the Maragua Summit School. Maragua is a small village and it was a big pain to be there being a Msungu. None of my vehicles were allowed to move for a long time because people were trying to touch or talk to me or just stare at me (Something which I can imagine happening to foreigners in a village in India). But I liked the location of the school – in the country side and one can see Mt. Kenya from the place. It was beautiful beyond words

.

The meet-up: I met the Principal to tell her that I will be sponsoring Jane’s education. Jane was called along with other children from the slums in Ngong. The moment the Principal told Jane that I am her mummy (to make her understand that I will be her guardian), Jane went crazy. She wouldn’t leave my leg, or let go of my hand or get off my lap. She took me to her class, introduced me to her friends and posed with me in millions of pictures. As the exams were going on, I was allowed to be with her for only 10-15 mins. But those were some of the most precious minutes of my life. I left the school with a happiness which knew no bound and (I will be a bit vain) I was proud of myself. I have found a beautiful connection to this country – It is the country of my daughter.

7 comments:

Won said...

Beautiful photo and story Shub! :)

shubhangi said...

Thanks :)

Unknown said...

well don shubhi, we all proud of you infect you are making all of us proud keep Rocking......... ;)

Neha Hooda said...

Shubhi,
Your pic with Jane is very touching..!! I almost cried while reading the story..

Keep up the good work Shubhs..

We all love you <3

shubhangi said...

Thank u buaji and bhabhi..

Vijit Hooda said...

That means we have a new bhanji in kenya! haha! proud of u shubhi...good to read ur updates!

shubhangi said...

yes yes.. A new bhanji.. Thank you for the encouragement Bhai!!

Cheers..